Saturday 23 March 2019

Politrix





As I lay me down to sleep 
I find it difficult to keep
my thoughts in order, want to weep,
but know I’m in it far too deep
to warrant standing on straight land.

Yes, it’s by my own conniving,
cadging votes while always striving
after contacts, bent on thriving
where the high-ups go on driving
home the point of each one’s brand.

I cast aside the things that matter,
turn to daily in-house chatter,
rattle out the worst of patter
to heap the Party’s utter splatter
on those whose benefits got canned.

Neat as nous my skirt and jacket
when my turn comes round to smack it
hard to bench-flops, so I whack it
ever onwards. Balls! They track it,
note my script runs like the sand.

Undeterred, I dribble forwards,
stuffing time crop-full with more words
till the Speaker claws me floorwards;
snatched back from my soaring core words,
please don’t think that I’ve been panned.

I know why I’m tossing sleepless;
dread those thoughts that wander keepless
down my brain. I would weep less
if they hadn’t sunk so deep.”Less,”
they groan, “O, less, she’s out of hand.”



Caricature of Theresa May by Christopher Sharrock ©
 

No comments:

Post a Comment