Wednesday 13 March 2019

No Escape





It’s here: the split
wind rattles
the warped door.
There’s Orestes,
wits away
with the Furies, flitting
the drained fields.

I need to escape
with you, my battler
brother, unfetter
the home’s bond,
hearth-wood fretted
and beating behind us.
The days are down.

I saw my father
pitted under
the ribs, breath
sputtering up
in the gore, her knife’s
flash in the slit,
bath clotted:

tunics glittering
red in the breeze,
mother and lover 
spitted, pallid
in blood’s clutter.
Revenge splashed
family-thick.

Bitter, the wind’s
edge; keen,
the howling down 
in the stoa. You,
my brother, brittle
before the whirl,
leave me hurling  

after you, panting.
Halt and slumping,
slump and gathering,
gathering red.
The bodies will burn
back in the palace.
Iphigenia’s still dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment