Friday 18 June 2021

Dog and Man


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You see that lead that leads to his cold hand?
It zizzes in and out of the roll he holds
and never drops. No freedom; that he withholds.
He says it’s safer. It’s not. I’ve been damned
to staying leashed for life, allowed to trot
beside him, short-legged, chained, feeling my life
isn’t my own. It’s more I’m like his wife,
obedient, cheerful; in looks, a dumpy blot
on the landscape. Inside is raging fire. It’s wild
to splatter the mud-deep fields under my paws,
to catch the jolt and splosh of it in my claws
raking the sticky earth. All’s outwardly mild,
much pant and snort on the path, but still un-free,
reined in. Snuffle and tug are all I’ve got
to let him know that I still care – a lot.
I’ll not be pulling away. He’s old, you see.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment