Sunday 13 November 2016

Out of Darkness


 


You have it all, so how do You want
them to be, the children who leap
the cracks in the autumn lanes,
their light calls lifting?

It is different for me.
I tripped skew long ago,
away from their game’s dream:

the ache that time when I learned
how my father was lamed and shambled;
I walk with his aid now.

Why do You wait for the first fall
to ground us, root me now?
You were here before we were,

          You were the one who spoke out light,
          watched the flame stream broad
          to Your reiterant stars, innocent and locked.

          We are expiation: Your need to hear Yourself
          the full worlds through; always
          the words blown out on Your breath.
         
          How we are left to come and go –
          white fire thickened and plunged,
          Father’s favour dancing diamond!

As I said, You have it all.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment